Trucking Insurance in Raleigh & Garner, NC
All owner-operators and trucking companies must carry commercial auto insurance with adequate liability coverage. This insurance helps protect the owner-operator or motor carrier from liability lawsuits if the truck driver causes an accident resulting in third-party injuries or property damage.
Contact us today to learn more about the commercial truck insurance your organization needs and get a personalized quote.
How Does Trucking Insurance Work?
At the core of the services offered by commercial truckers is transportation. If you are one of them, then you have an obligation to do your job safely, efficiently and professionally. However, if you fail, then the results might hurt other people and cost a lot of money. By having trucking insurance, you will be able to pay the recovery costs without costing your business an arm and a leg.
What Kind Of Insurance Do Truck Drivers Need?
Truckers need to insure both the vehicles they use and the business liabilities they assume. Therefore, they will need several types of coverage within their trucking plan:
- Physical Damage Insurance: This will pay for damage to your truck and trailer following collisions or other accidents.
- Non-owned Trailer Physical Damage Coverage: If you own your cab but not your trailer, then you will likely have to insure the trailer separately.
- Motor Truck Cargo Insurance: As a subset of inland marine insurance, cargo insurance insures the items in your truck that are shipments.
- Primary Trucking Liability Insurance: Liability coverage pays for third-party injuries or property damage that occur because a wreck is your fault. Primary coverage pays for at-fault accidents that occur while you are on dispatch.
- Non-Trucking Liability Insurance: When you drive your truck for personal or non-business purposes, you can extend your liability coverage during this time.
- Trucking General Liability Insurance: During times of loading, unloading or other activities involving a parked truck, this coverage can apply. It will pay for third-party property damage or bodily injuries.
- Bobtail Liability Coverage: If you are driving without a trailer or with an empty trailer (even on dispatch), then this liability coverage will apply.
- Environmental Liability Coverage: Truckers who haul hazardous materials or contaminants will need this coverage. It can help you clean up damage and pay other costs resulting from spills and other accidents.
A full-time trucker will also likely qualify for workers compensation coverage if they get hurt in a wreck on the job. Talk to your agent about the best way to tweak your plan to your benefit.
How Much Does Commercial Trucking Insurance Cost?
Your commercial trucking insurance costs may differ greatly from other trucking companies in your area. Each insurer sets their rates according to proprietary algorithms. Your commercial trucking insurance premiums may be based on several factors:
- The value of the property you insure
- Your coverage limits
- The endorsements and coverages you choose
- Information about your company, such as your location and claims history
- Information about your drivers, such as their driving history
When you work with an independent insurance agent, you can get multiple quotes from reputable insurers to help you get the most value for your insurance dollar.
How Much Insurance Does A Trucking Company Need?
There are a multitude of laws and regulations that govern how much truck insurance you need to carry.
- Most independent truckers and trucking companies must comply with coverage requirements set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Rules will differ based on various factors.
- If you finance a truck when you buy it, then you might have to buy physical damage insurance.
- Certain trucking companies must carry surety bonds.
Our agents are experts in all aspects of trucking insurance, which is why we are committed to working with you to determine where your coverage needs lie. Plus, if you are concerned about keeping your plan affordable, we can comprehensively search the insurance market to find you a plan that is both to your benefit, but still affordable.
Get the Trucking Insurance You Need Today
At ACF Insurance Services, we understand that tractor trailer owners and drivers have specific insurance needs. Contact us today to learn more about how insurance can help provide financial protection for your trucking operation and to get a quote for truck insurance.