Home » New 2016 Moped Law in North Carolina and Registration FAQs
June 30, 2016

New 2016 Moped Law in North Carolina and Registration FAQs

As of July 1, 2016, North Carolina law requires that all registered mopeds have liability insurance coverage with limits no less than $30,000/$60,000/$25,000. Failure to maintain liability insurance coverage constitutes a lapse and may result in the revocation of your valid North Carolina license plate.

Here are some other answers to common questions about registering a moped.

Am I required to register my moped? 

Yes. The new law requires registration for all mopeds operated on a state-maintained road.

When do I have to register my moped? 

As of July 1, 2015, North Carolina law requires all mopeds that are operated on a state maintained road to be registered. If operated on or after that date without proper registration, you could be cited by law enforcement.

What do I need to register my moped? 

  • The moped’s Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO), along with a Certification of Plate and/or Address form (MVR-1A) OR an Affidavit of Facts for the Registration of a Moped form (MVR-58)
  • A valid North Carolina driver license or identification card

  • Will I get a title for my moped? 

    No. This is a registration-only process, so no title will be issued.

    How much does registration cost? 

    The moped registration fee is $24, which includes the plate. The following counties charge an additional transit fee:

    Durham $15
    Orange $15
    Randolph $1
    Wake $5

    Does my moped need an annual inspection? 

    No. Mopeds do not require an annual inspection.

    How old do I have to be to legally operate a moped?  

    The minimum age to legally operate a moped in North Carolina is 16 (G.S. 20-10.1).

    Do I have to wear a helmet while driving or riding on a moped? 

    Yes. Operators and passengers of mopeds are required to wear a helmet (G.S. 20-140.4).

    Do I have to pay vehicle property tax? 

    No. Property tax is not collected on mopeds at this time.

    Do I need to renew my moped’s registration each year? 

    Yes. You can renew your moped’s registration in one of three ways:

  • Use the online renewal application
  • Visit any North Carolina license plate agency
  • Mail your renewal to:
    N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles
    P.O. Box 29620
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0620

    Will I be penalized if I don’t renew by the expiration date? 

    You will not be charged a late fee if you don’t renew the registration on your moped by the expiration date.

    Can I transfer a plate from one moped to another? 

    Yes, as long as both mopeds are registered in your name.

    Does an ignition interlock device have to be installed if I am required to have one? 

    No. Ignition interlock devices are not required on mopeds.

    Can I get a personalized plate for my moped? 

    Yes. Personalized plates are available for mopeds.

    Can I get a specialty plate for my moped? 

    No. Specialty plates are not available for mopeds.

    Can I get a handicapped plate for my moped? 

    Yes. Handicapped plates are available for mopeds.

    My moped does not have a vehicle identification number. How do I obtain one? 

  • Contact a License & Theft office to apply for a new vehicle identification number for your moped.

    For more information about North Carolina moped insurance, give ACF Insurance Services Inc a call at (919) 661-1100 today!


    Categories: Blog

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    ©2023. All rights reserved. | Powered by Zywave Websites