How to Prepare for a Hurricane
Hurricanes are among the most dangerous and destructive natural disasters. These severe tropical storms often bring strong winds, heavy rainfall and flash floods, all of which contribute to millions of dollars in damages for American homeowners every year. Given the significant risk of catastrophic losses brought by hurricanes, homeowners in even low- and moderate-risk areas must diligently protect their finances and property.
How to Prepare for Hurricanes
Although you may have no way of controlling the weather, there are steps you can take to fortify your home, prepare your household and limit the impact of severe weather conditions. Before a hurricane reaches your area, consider the following:
- Plan ahead. Document any phone numbers you may need, such as for local authorities and your insurance agent. Identify your nearest hurricane shelter, establish multiple evacuation routes and ensure all household members are aware of these plans.
- Monitor the forecast. Check the weather regularly and obey any evacuation orders or other mandates issued by local authorities. Familiarize yourself with various terminology to understand the severity of various watch and warning categories.
- Protect your home. Although you may need to leave your property, you can still limit the damage it sustains by covering windows and doors with shutters or plywood, trimming tree limbs and clearing the outside of items that could be blown around, such as bicycles and lawn furniture.
- Prepare an emergency kit. Be ready for evacuation by packing emergency supplies ahead of time. This should include drinking water, nonperishable food, flashlights, a battery-operated or hand-crank radio, extra batteries and medical supplies (e.g., first-aid kit and medications).
- Check your insurance. Usually, standard homeowners insurance policies do not include financial protection for hurricane-related damages. As such, you should check with your insurance company to discuss augmenting your coverage and ensure you can recoup your losses.
Get the Right Coverage
Hurricanes threaten thousands of U.S. homeowners every year, and resulting losses are on the rise. In fact, according to a recent study by the Insurance Information Institute (Triple-I), nine of the 10 most costly hurricanes to affect the United States have occurred since 2005.
We’re here to help. With offices in Raleigh and Garner, and over 30 years of experience serving homeowners, businesses and individuals, ACF Insurance Services is well-equipped to help you assess and address your hurricane-related needs. Our dedicated staff will work with you to analyze your circumstances, discuss your options and compose optimal coverage. Visit our website or call 919-878-7786 to get started today.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.